[pct-l] Trail connections

Hello again.
    This list is fascinating reading. Damn this sprained ankle...
    Couple of questions.  There are a couple reasons why I am reading
this list. I'm fairly new to California and am planning a long mule
trip down part of the Oregon Trail, from ChimneyRock, NE to the
western border of Wyoming.  One reason is for the excellent
backcountry information needed for anyone on bike, foot or mule in
remote places. I have already learned some stuff and am keeping that
in mind for my list of "must-haves".  Anyway, a question:  Are
mules/horses allowed on the trail for the entire length of it?  On the
PCT home page it says in a couple of places the trail crosses a
highway here and there, is this on an overpass or does it literally
cross it? (probably a dumb question...)  I  would like to take my mule
down sections of it to get her warmed up and in shape, and to make a
few practice runs to see what works and what doesn't before I do a
major trip.  I know the terrain in Wyoming is a bit different, but
California has extremes (desert, Sierra peaks) which cover just about
everything except maybe the grasslands (which solves the "what do I
feed the mule?" question.)  Incidentally, I will be riding the mule,
not leading her, as in a pack mule.  So I will need to travel as light
as possible, she will be carrying me, a saddle and a months worth of
gear.    I also want to hike some of it, even if just for a few
overnights.  I have a couple kids, a job, all that crap.  Any
suggestions are appreciated, and information about horses/mules on the
pct will be a help. too.  Thanks so much in advance.

~Shawnee
  Simi Valley, CA
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
-Frank Zappa
mailto:migraine@fishnet.net
ICQ:  18478638