Re: [pct-l] Why are there so many Bear, and mountian lion worriers?

In a message dated 4/18/99 4:57:38 PM PST, globetroter@worldnet.att.net
writes:

<<  I don't know why so many people on trails in the lower 48 worry so much
over these animals... >>

The problem with bears and mountain lions, at least in the Sierra Nevada
range,  is not the critters but the PEOPLE.  The black bears in the Sierra
and, to some extent, the pumas in the SF Bay area, have become so unafraid of
PEOPLE that they are in danger of making serious mistakes and becoming
predators of PEOPLE.  This may be a problem for us hikers but it is a
disaster for the bears and mountain lions.  Make no mistake, if it comes to a
confrontation between them and us, the critters may win a battle or two but
the PEOPLE will win the war (and, in the process lose the critters.)

This may not be the case (yet) in Alaska.  Please do what you can there to
delay the process.

I like to fish.  I would like to fish in Alaska but am very worried about the
Kodiaks (grizzlies.)   I also like to SCUBA dive.  I do it, but I worry about
being in a situation where I'm not at the top of the food chain.  What is my
risk, really, if I were fishing a brushy stream, say, on the Kenai Peninsula?

[I see that others have responded more quickly to your note.  I'm a little
behind on my mail, but still feel a need to add my $.02.  Thanks for the
opportunity.]