[pct-l] The bad news Bear reports

  Of all the many times I've been in bear country no other has sent shivers
up my spine as when I spent a week on Kodiak Island up here in Alaska.  My
friend Ben ( His real Name!)   and I were on the island to do some late
season Red fishing.  I found out the hard way that no matter where I stowed
the fish I caught, some Griz would come bumbling along and tear off with the
whole load.  We didn't worry too much on our stowed food stuffs ( IN Bear
cans) since most of the bears were only interested in the Salmon.  At night
it was very nerve racking as we could hear those 1500 pound bears crashing
around through the woods.  I relied on my old standby Indian trick that I
believe to this day has kept bears out of my tent as I sleep, I always pee a
big circle all around my tent sight.  I've spent months in the Griz
backcountry and still haven't had a break-in, cross my toes and hope not to
die!  Blackies are troublesome but they are very easily chased off as well.
I'm not looking for them on the PCT, but lets just say that Kodiak Island
trained me well.
See you guys out there.
Asta
Globetrotter PCT 2000