Re: [pct-l] bear canisters + bear story.

> Last year, while hiking between Yos valley and Red's meadow, I met
> a large bear.  I had camped well away from other hikers, and had my
> food stored in one of the 'new' Aluminum bear canisters.  I found

These new aluminum canisters seem lighter than the PCV
counterparts. Being aluminum, are they stronger?

> what I thought was a 'good hanging' tree, and hung a bag containing
> sunscreen, Ammonium Lactate (spelling) lotion, and a bunch of non
> smelly items.

I'm curious. Having never hiked in bear territory (yet),
I wqas under the assumption, you put all your food in the
canister, hide it some yards away and then put your pack in
your tent. But assuming I'm carrying lotion/toothpaste/etc,
is it recommended that you hang this? This would seem
double duty to me and given your encounter, you have
a good chance of losing it anyway.

Would those of you with experience with this care
to comment?

Jim