Re: [pct-l] bear canisters

In a message dated 4/21/99 9:47:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, dude1@pdq.net
writes:

<< Yeah, last year while on the JMT I met a ranger in that area(Kearsarge
 Pass, Vidette Meadows, Onion Valley) that had told me the bear problem
 was very bad and one guy had been injured trying the take his food away
 from a bear once the bear had it.  We did not carry canisters, but used
 one of the boxes at Rea Lakes.  We had no troubles at all.

The bears on the Rae Lakes loop are the worst in the Sierra in my opinion,
which is interesting in view of the availability of bear boxes.  If anybody
hears how serious the NPS is about pressing the issue of canisters north of
Woods Creek, please let us know.