Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #739

Kudos 2 Jim 4 figurin' out that acronym; I confess I hadn't given it much
thought, but had thought it was more in the A 2 Z categroy, but surely Jim
got it right.

I haven't the time 2 read all the PCT-L postin's, but will follow the hikes
of some really gr8 friends, probably 2 of the nicest, most amiable hikin'
couples known 2 man: (& I hate 2 mention 1 B4 the other, but will opt 4
alphabetical order) Annie & the Salesman (AKA  The McDuffs) and Southern Harp
& Travellin' Man (AKA The Roaches).  A bit about ea.:

A & TS:  Have done the AT a couple times; ea. yr. they return 2 the GA
portion of the AT the 1st week of Apr., simply 2 greet the new class.  They
worked Konnarock (the famed AT heavy-duty AT Trl. crew) last yr.; this crew
requires 8 hr.daze of truly gruellin' work, plus the mix of crew members who
must get along in a communal settin', in the woods for a week or two (another
challenge).  A&TS Xude Southern charm; they're musically Nclined & were even
alluded 2 in Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods", as "...an amazingly fit
couple who were hikin' 2 a weddin' in VA".  A&TS R also way down in wt., the
Jardine Way.

SH & TM:  Did the AT & vounteered 2 yrs. runnin' @ the Blackburn AT Cen., in
N. VA, an oasis run by the Potomac AT Club.  While doin' so, they greatly
Xceeded the demands of their job description (actually they were a 2fer fm.
the gito, meanin', they were 2 folx doin' the job of 1), ie. the requrment
was 2 B caretakers when in reality they cooked ea. nite & shuttled hikers
and/or their pax 2 town.  Whenever a hiker showed up, after a simple greetin'
the 1st words outta their mouths were, "Would U like a drink"?  Southern Harp
carried a backapacker's guitar; it was worth hikin' the whole trl. 2 hear her
"I hear Katahdin" theme song, which she wrote on the AT & is worthy of B'n a
thru-hiker's anthem.

There's a sayin' that whatever trl. magic U give comes back 2 U; these 2
couples R in 4 a treat.

Yrs. & Happy Trls., Wanchor (PCT 97-98)