[pct-l] ADZPCTKOP

For those of you who were not able to attend or are just curious, the
ADZPCTKOP was great!  All of the hikers and supporters are great people.  I
have a theory that the PCT creates good character in people.  Tom Reynolds
challenged my theory by proposing that maybe the PCT attracts people with
good character! We had such a good time talking, reminiscing, comparing
weights, equipment, menus, speculating on snow depths, etc., etc.

About 20 thru hikers or section hikers attended.  I hope that someone will
post a list of them.  A couple people had everyone write their names and
addresses down.

I took Andrew Yip down on Friday evening and we arrived at Lake Morena
about 8 PM.  Several thruhikers were there along with an even number of
support people.  We sat around a camp fire and talked for a while but
nearly everyone hit the sack early as several were having us take them to
the border the next morning to hike back to Lake Morena (or shorter) and a
group of three had already hiked to Lake Morena and were getting up to head
north the next morning.

Tom Reynolds drove the hikers down to Campo the next morning and I went to
breakfast with the Happy Trails Couple, Joannne (Goforth) and my two
youngest boys.

Tom, Charlie and I then stashed the water and then found a better (easier)
stash site than Chariot Canyon for next year or later this year.  We then
drove down to Hauser Canyon and picked up five hikers who we had arranged
to have us pick them up there since they didn't think they could hike the
22 miles to Lake Morena in one day and wanted to attend the ADZPCTKOP.  By
the time we got back to the campground at Lake Morena the water, beer and
wine was flowing.  We showed everyone where we had stashed the water on the
maps in their guidebooks and then started cooking dinner.  Bob Reis, of San
Diego, Tom Reynolds, Anne and Jim Reidman and several others contributed to
the meal and everyone had a great time.  Besides the pictures that Brick
took and posted (thanks Brick!), there was several taken of the group of
hikers and one of the supporters.  I hope someone posts them on the list.
We talked around the fire until midnight.

The weather was great also, about 80 degrees F!  The snow in the San
Gabriels, San Bernardino and San Jacinto mountains must be melting fast.
Rare snow patches on top of Mt. Laguna.

The water stashing went fine.  The water at Scissors Crossing will be
re-supplied as necessary.  Anne Reidman volunteered to help Charlie Jones
keep an eye on it.  I can indicate where we hid the water in Chariot Cnyn
and Scissors Crossing by direct email if you care to try to take advantage.
 We put 80 one and a half liter bottles at Chariot Cnyn, 40 at Scissors
Crossing (less since it is easier to re-stock)and a note to call me when it
gets low.

The area around Campo is very green right now, but not for long unless we
get a little more rain.  I suggest your timing will be excellent if you
leave within the next two weeks.  The snow in the Sth California mountains
should be low by the time you come through and you will be giving the snow
in the northern Sierras and Cascades a good amount of time to melt.

There was a general scarcity of thru hikers at the kick off.  I would like
to ask fellow thru hikers and section hikers to try to attend next years as
I believe your experiences recounted first hand are true inspirations to
those just starting out.  Those who have hiked it in the 90's could recount
the most up-to-date and appropriate from trail conditions to equipment.
I'm afraid my poor memory, my twenty year old equipment and the difference
in the lineament of the trail from when I hiked it rendered my opinions
rather "has-been" like.

So come on 94'ers, 95'ers, 96'ers, 97'ers and 98'ers (and yes, 99'ers too).
 When we announce the 2nd ADZPCTKOP, step up, come down and shoot the bull
with those timid, frightened, anxious people endeavoring to count 2,634
miles under their belt.

Greg "Strider" Hummel