Re: [pct-l] Things you miss years after you Finish

Monte's message brought back many deep memories.

Being down at Campo and Lake Morena this weekend also brought back so many
great memories and brought up some painful emotions:

The memories:
	A frost coated first morning, awaking to a crystaline scene and deep blue
sky and the relief that the first day was past and I had actually started.

	The miriad of textures beneath my feet: solid granite, rotten granite,
crushed granite, granite dust, metamorhic rocks, the reflection of light
from the crystals, solid oak tree leaves, mud, white mud, black mud, every
shade of gray mud, asphalt, concrete (fortunately not too much of the last
two for you 99'ers)

	The store down the road from Buckman Springs.  A little place on the old
highway, sells gasoline but not much these days as it is too far off the
main highway (8).  The smell in the store, the total essence of the place
brought back a vivid memory of stepping through that same door, so long ago.

	The grimey crust on the skin at the end of the day that you think is dirt
but find from inspection is salt!

	That little voice in my head, the draw of the trail, "come walk upon me
and find the adventures that lie just over the hill, come, come . . . "

	The gear comparisons, discussions, examining.  "How much does it weigh?"
"What if it snows heavily on it?" "What about ventilation?"  "How fast does
it boil a quart of water?" "What kind of material is that?" "What is in
that gorp?" "Rice milk?"

The Painful Emotions:

	As I watch them walk away down the trail repeating thanks for the help,
the incredible desire, the shameful selfishness, the deep gut need to go,
to go with, to find a way . . .

Maybe in 2008 when my youngest is 18 and headed for college, hell, maybe
he'll even go with me!

Greg "Strider" Hummel