[pct-l] Bears Facts

Though this information is from Alaska thought that it might be helpful to
all those hiking the PCT.

In light of the rising frequency of human-grizzly bear conflicts, the Alaska
Dept of Fish and Game is advising hikers, hunters and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.  "We advise that
outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on their clothing so as not to startle
bears that aren't expecting them.  We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper
spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.  "It is also a good idea
to watch out for fresh signs of bear activity.  Outdoorsmen should recognize
the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.  Black bear
droppings are smaller and contain lots of berries and squirrel fur.  Grizzly
bear droppings have little bells in them and they smell like pepper."

Don't take life to seriously it's too short.

dana
pct '99 hopefully