[pct-l] Bears aren't the problem people are.

In certain areas of the PCT the bears are neither in low numbers, nor shy.

They are not generally a threat to one's person, but will certainly go to
great lengths to get one's food.

While I personally think that most of the bad bear encounters are the fault
of the hiker, there still were a couple of maulings and countless
backcountry food thefts last year.

Don't discount the bears down here just because they are not griz's.

  I'm sure Brick that in the lower 48 there may seem to be a large amount of
bears but compared to Alaska there isn't.  The only reason they have a
problem on the trail is due to people being stupid!  Problem bears are only
created by people, not the  bears themselves.
If people going out in Bear country would just get a ounce of education on
how to store food and to react in a bear encounter they wouldn't have any
problems.  Up here in bear filled places such as Denali national Park we
have had only two bear mauling in almost ten years due to good education of
people entering the backcountry.  People who go into the wilds uneducated
shouldn't hold the wilds responsible for their own stupidity.