[pct-l] Taking Time Off

* Message posted to PCT-L from the National Scenic Trails Website
* by our guest Lara Thompson <laramt@hotmail.com>.
* Please use <mailto:laramt@hotmail.com> to reply to the sender.

"R.J. Baynum" <rjbaynum@nidlink.com> wrote:
Hi, I was wondering, how can some people take off, and just do the trail? What do you do for a living?
***************
Hi, R.J.  You might want to check out the following book:

Six Months Off : How to Plan, Negotiate, and Take the Break You Need Without Burning Bridges or Going Broke by Hope Dlugozima, James Scott (Contributor), David Sharp (Contributor)

It's available from your local bookseller or at www.amazon.com and lists at $12.95.

The book addresses a number of planning concerns that I think all long distance hikers face and even provides personal stories about how some
individuals have achieved their sabbaticals.  One of the examples is a story of how one woman hiked the AT.

My opinion is that the book provides some good, logical advice; it may give you a starting point for constructing a reasonable approach to time-off that will fit with your own circumstances.

I have a job as a legal assistant with a well-known audio technology licensing company (with very moderate pay for the SF Bay Area), and a
great bargain of an apartment; however, I am single and do not have to figure in a family.

If you want to go, you'll figure out a way that works for you.  I plan to "sell" to potential employers the benefits of an employee that understands long-range planning, demonstrates focus and perseverence, prioritizes details, overcomes difficult obstacles, problem-solves efficiently, is resourceful, and sets and meets significant goals.  Bet you can think of great examples to support these same selling points when you interview upon your return to the frontcounty!

Best of luck to you,
Lara (hiking in 2000)