[pct-l] re: homemade gear

i've made a two-person fleece sleeping bag for our thruhike this summer.
in fact, ellen and i just tested it in the ventana wilderness near big sur
last week, where we got snowed on.  overnight temps were about 30*, maybe
lower, not sure, and the bag did great.  i'm going to add 8 more inches of
fleece to the top, makes it easier to burrow in on chilly nights.

the bottom is nylon taffeta, the top is super light ripstop nylon lined
with 100 wgt micro fleece.  the bottom 12" also are lined with fleece for
toasty feet.  wider at the shoulder and feet than two NF blue kazoos zipped
together, and total weight is 2lbs 9oz in waterproof OR stuff sack (prior
to adding the extra fleece).  the big plus is that it is not down, so we
don't have to worry about a wet dog or heavy condensation, etc.  and it's
bright yellow  :).  the wierdest thing is not having a sleeping bag in my
pack - ellen carries it.

also made my own pot stand/ windscreen for trangia alcohol stove from
aluminum flashing, saving a few ounces, plus lots of little stuff like
fleece gloves, hats, ultralight stufsacks, etc.

we're not ultralight, cos we carry a 3-person SD stretch dome tent when
with the dog, i carry a thermalounger chair kit, and ellen carries a full
length thermarest.  still, with the dog carrying the fly for the tent, my
base pack weight is about 23lbs and ellens is about 20.  oh, that 23lbs
includes a sony handycam, so take off about 1.5lbs for 'real' weight.

mike
ke kaahawe, AT92  TYT94  PCT99!
mhAT92@tidepool.com