Re: [pct-l] Ultralight???

 I, too, am trying to go a lighter route (as opposed to ultralight). One
thing I am trying out is to no longer use my internal frame pack. It is a
pre-1997 EMS 5500 (the new ones are heavier than mine)..feels like it
weighs at least 6 lbs. Instead, I am now using my old external frame,
sans pack. The packframe has a large stuff sack with my gear  bungie
corded to to the frame. Essentially, I have an internal frame setup
attached to an external frame.  By doing this, it feels like 4 lbs is
saved.

  Another thing I am trying is  using a homemade alcohol stove. I only
cook one hot meal a day, and it is the boil water variety at that. By
using this stove instead of a the whisperlite, a good amount of weight is
saved.  I realise that an alcohol stove will not work too well in cold
weather, but this stove was used succesfully in 35 F temps. Worse case
scenario?  Mac n' cheese soaked in cold water for a little while, then
eaten. Yuck! But it will be food...of a sort. :)
   Along the same lines, instead of my heavy MSR  stainless steel pot w/
grip, I am using a cheap aluminum pot from Walmart with a bandana for my
grip.

  The last thing I am trying out is still up for debate. An 8' X 10' tarp
w/ poncho for groundcloth (and my ski poles w/ bungie cords from the
pack)  vs my Walrus Swift.   Still need some more nights out in the tarp
before I no longer use my ever faithful tent.

Other  little things to do for weight savings: foam pad instead of a
Thermarest,  Gatorade bottles instead of Nalgene bottles, use the
gatorade bottles for your hot drinks, etc..

  So going lightweight can be done w/o significant sacrifice. Little
things can add up to big weight savings.  The key is to find the right
balance between weight and comfort.
Only way to find that out is to experiment..