[pct-l] re:ultralight

Best wishes to everyone hiking the PCT this year! Just another opinion on
the ultralight topic below:

I've tried to eliminate ounces and pounds from my overall pack weight
wherever I could, mainly 'cause with age (I'll be 48 this year) I find I can
go farther and my body likes me better at the end of the hiking day. For
example, on an upcoming six-day trek, my pack weight is at 32 pounds, 10
ounces, including food and 2 liters of water. Most of the time, even when I
carry a little more, and a little heavier gear, I can keep my pack weight to
35 pounds or less for a week trip. The keys, I think, are eliminating
unnecessary items (and only the person carrying the weight can determine
what is unnecessary!), and knowing your capabilities given the gear you're
carrying.

Example:  I typically pack a chair (18 oz.), a filter (11 oz.) and a tent (3
lbs, 6 ozs. to 6 lbs., depending on which tent and whether I'm solo), a
small cassette unit with personal earphones and a couple of favorite tapes
(15 oz.), and a 35mm camera (10 oz.), so you can see that I'm into a little
bit of comfort. I could leave the chair, the filter, the cassette unit,
tapes and camera at home and save myself over three pounds, but to me, that
stuff is necessary.

For summer backpacking anywhere in the lower 48 states, I typically pack a
sleep system that consists of a fleece blanket, fleece boot liners, a pair
of polypro thermal pants, a pair of polartec fleece pants, a mylar survival
sheet, and a down jacket with a hood. The two pairs of pants serve duty as
extra outerwear, as does the down jacket and hood. The rest of the system
weighs 38 ozs. This system keeps me warm down to 20 degrees. I just mention
this to show that one can select gear that serves two or more purposes.

I've not been able to get my pack weight below thirty pounds with food and
water for a week-long trip, and to tell the truth, I'm not interested in
getting it down any further -- I might have to leave one of my luxuries at
home!

In brief, I'd say: carry whatever insures your comfort, your survival
(mainly, a prepared brain), and your happiness (mainly, your attitude), and
you ought to be just fine.

Good luck to all!

Craig Smith