Re: [pct-l] leaving soon, mailing white gas, list suggestion

Rebecca Williams wrote:

> hello all.
>
> I am getting very ready to leave!
> Yesterday and the day before I spent the day getting food from
> costco, traderjoe's and getting last minute things from REI,
> bookstores etc. Today is my day to pack stuff up into
> boxes.  and yesterday I realized (it dawned on me!) ... I don't know where,
> and if, I need to mail white gas to myself, so ...
>
> 1. does anyone know the regulations for mailing white gas?

The Regs are in the DMM (Domestic Mail Manual) at the Post Office, section C023
Hazardous materials.  As I read the regs (and I would suggest you verify my
interpretations and asumptions - I researched for and shipped Propane/butane
mix).(I assume flash point > 73degrees F)
    Up to 1 gallon in a metal can, packed with enough absorbant material to absorb
any spillage, within a strong secondary package within a strong outer package.
    Marked "Surface Mail Only"  and "ORM-D" below or after the proper shipping
name and the flashpoint.  The proper shipping name is probably "consumer
commodity"  I don't know how you determine the flashpoint.  If its not on the can,
I guess you call the manufacturer.

> 2. should I pack it up in a seperate small package or just
> include it in my regular resupply box?

I'd suggest a separate parcel.  If there is a hassle at least you'll get the rest
of your stuff.  And if time is short everything else can go priority mail, but
ORM-D must go surface only.

> 3. what kind of container should I use? Can I / should
> I just use the metal box like container it comes in when you buy it?
> I have one extra fuel bottle, can I mail it in that as well?

See above

> 4. does anyone know out of the following resupply places which
> ones I'll need to mail white gas to? (i.e. which ones can I not
> get white gas or even regular gas at? (I have a stove
> that takes regular gasoline, if needed.) Oh, someone sugested
> using low octane instead of high octane if I go to a gas station for
> gas for my stove, is this correct?

I can't help here.

Good Luck, See you on the trail.

    Allen Downs