Re: [pct-l] Ultralight???

> I guess I'm saying that I know my preferences now -- the items I carry
> in my pack have been tried and tested and I don't feel comfortable with
> less.  However, I still feel rather frustrated that it seems many
> others are making do with less.  Anyone else share this feeling?
> Perhaps I'm not understanding the lightweight concept yet, as I've not
> had the opportunity to read Jardine's famous book.

While I may not be as experienced as others on this
list (with regards to miles hiked - especially through
hikes), I have done a few long distance hikes myself
and after reading Ray's book (twice now), I am beginning
to appreciate his methods. I'm currently planning to be
one of the class of 2000 and am in the early planning
stages (going through every page of the guidebooks,
highlighting, making notes) and am considering actually
making my own backpack. Has anyone done this? Unfortunately,
my fear of snakes, skeeters and other wildlife/pests is
to strong for me to use just a tarp like Ray does so I will
opt for a tent. I'll also try his quilt. I believe that
if I can lower pack weight (and cost) this way, I can
afford to bring along a few more luxuries - such as books,
camera, walkman, etc - and still have my pack weigh in
at under 35 pounds.. which would be ideal IMO.

Does anyone out there care to share their experiences
with regard to *homemade* equipment/clothing or the
adoption of Ray's other methods?

P.S. Definately read Jardine's book. You may also
wish to read some of the other books, such as Rybak's.
I believe he claimed his pack wieght was 70+ pounds!

Regards,
   Jim