Re: [pct-l] gear, weather, attitude

>We all try to get our trip down to a science in prehike planning, but
unless we can mentally cope with the unexpected, we might find ourselves
hopping all over the trail looking for the perfect way to outwit Mother
Nature. That could become exhausting and expensive. It could put a
>damper on the adventure too.
>
>Just a thought from a Y2K hopeful.     sue  (JMT '97)

Great thought Sue! Walt and I learned that hiking the PCT for us was a
combination of the 3 three A's;  "Altitude, Attitude and Agua."  But not in
that order!  Altitude with thin air fatigued us, too much Agua (water) in
liquid or frozen form was a challenge, as was too little Agua, but Attitude
seemed to rule the day.  Some days it was just a day to have an "Attitude"
positive, not problem, or we wouldn't make it!

Hiking the PCT is certainly a challenge -- isn't that part of why we are
going?  A friend of mine told me facing all my fears stretched my rubber
band of characater and made me stronger and happier.  He was certainly
right.  I am still nervous of heights, but I know that my positive
"Attitude" to conquer my fears when I am on a precipice and feeling like I
can't move will get me across and over safely.  Walt told me I cheat myself
by not having enough confidence in myself, I have to take hold of my
"Attitude" and move on.  Ray said hiking the PCT is a job -- any job
requires the right "Attitude" if you are to succeed.

A week away!  See you soon Charlie!

HTC