Re: [pct-l] gear, weather, attitude

I think Monte's point is that the "go ultralight' approach, of necessity,
eliminates most of the gear necessary to "ride out" or "hike through" difficult
weather. Certainly a spring snow storm is not an unusual event in Southern
California and, no doubt, Joanne had thought about the possibility and had a
plan -- go back -- which she did. [Joanne had a very light pack with custom
gear, much of which she made herself]

Monte, who seams to relish difficult weather, would simply hike on counting on
his bad weather gear and experience to slog it out.[ Monte carries a 245 pound
pack I heard.]

I, on the other hand, carry enough gear to " wait out" a storm but not enough
foul weather gear to "slog it out" { I carry a 245 pound stomach}

So, Joanne "flip-flopped". Monte, in the same situation would be slogging down
Fuller Ridge while I would be holed up in my tent in Tahquitz Valley for the
third day waiting for the weather to break.

It is hard to say which approach is better. If your goal is "getting somewhere",
a thruhike for example, the "ultra-light approach" probably will yeild more
miles per day.

On the other hand, if you want the [perceived] experience of being on your own
and not dependent on civilization I like Monte's approach. The idea of being
"holed up in Anza in civilization" then having a "friend drive me to the deser
to flip-flop" is too distracting for my taste. I like being "out there"

Finally, when you walk past my camp this spring and see me sitting in my
SlingLite chair, sipping my Sierra Cooler [Kool-Aid and 151 rum], reading my
novel and waiting for the fish to bite, you may decide that "being there" is
good enough