[pct-l] It's getting close

If the temperature is cold at night and in the 70's during the day,
how much water is really necessary for someone weighing 150 pounds?

<my comments>

Water useage is highly temperature dependent.  I have found that in
conditions below 70'F, water use is not very high, perhaps 2 quarts per 15
mile day, including minimal cooking use.  Hotter conditions should be
calculated by the mile or by the hour because of the weight.  Even at 90'F
you could carry no water if there's reliable water within 5-6 miles and
you don't mind being thirsty enough to drink a full quart when you get
there.  A 90' afternoon and 10 miles to water requires carrying 1 quart and
drinking another on arrival.  For every 5 extra miles, add another quart.
Personally I'm not comfortable with no water in my pack because I often
don't know for sure which source will be reliable and I'd rather not be
reaching the uncomfortably dehydrated stage routinely.  So I carry one more
quart than listed.  That way, when I reach the next water source, I have a
full quart in my pack which I drink on the spot.  Then I pump new water for
the next section.

Above 90'F, or over 15 dry miles, water use should be planned very
carefully.  Perhaps you can travel during the cooler hours and rest in the
heat of the day.  Perhaps you can do a side-hike to shorten the distance to
the next water.  Sometimes you just have to carry a big load.  At 100'F, 2
quarts for each 5 miles is about right.  The worst conditions I faced in '97
were starting up the switchbacks from Scissor's Crossing in the hot sun at
~110'F.  I drank 2 quarts in 3 miles and was already dehydrated.  One quart
per mile would have been about right.  That's a good example of conditions
to avoid.  You just can't carry enough water to hike in those conditions.
Wait for cooler temperatures.

The good news is you will quickly get an excellent feel for this.  Having
the containers to carry 2-3 gallons is adequate for the longest dry
sections.  (There are many of 20-23 miles, and one 31 miler on the Hat Creek
rim in section N. There are even longer dry sections, but reasonable side
hikes can be made.)

How much water do you need the first day?  May 4th, 1997 my Dad and I found
water at the 4 mile point, and a trickle in Hauser Creek at the 15 mile
point.  It was an 85'F day and we got by, barely, with 2 quarts.  If Hauser
Creek had been dry, we would have been in trouble.  I had blisters and could
not make it to Lake Morena that day as planned.  You may have similar
problems.  If you KNOW Hauser Creek has water, 3 quarts is probably okay for
an 85'F day.  If you face 20 waterless miles to Lake Morena and you KNOW you
can make it in one day, 4 quarts may be okay.  If you have to camp short,
5-6 quarts may be needed.

After day 1 you'll be experts.
Brian

PS.  I plan to hike from Crater Lake to Manning this summer.  I look forward
to seeing some of you out there!  Enjoy your grand adventure, and may it be
the trip of a lifetime.