Re: [pct-l] thoughtful Muir Hut reminder

trailangel@hotmail.com writes:

<< Do hikers still practice the courtesy of leaving wood twigs/pieces in Muir
Hut for those that may get holed up there in bad weather? I seem to remember
it being a practice but alas novice hikers would impinge on the place and
make a fire for the heck of it. >>

Without getting into whether wood gathering in the area around Muir Pass (for
miles) is allowable or not, let me add one piece of info.

In the summer of '96 when I hiked the JMT, the fireplace in Muir Hut was
filled with stone as if to prevent it's use. I don't recall if it was
cemented in place or not, but if "they" preferred that it not be used for any
reason, hikers should not try to restore it as a fireplace.

Note that the hut is a very secure looking structure and would still serve as
protection from the wind and weather. Even cooking a meal on your gas stove
inside of the hut would probably bring the temp up to a relatively warm level.

Charlie Jones