Re: [[pct-l] It's getting close] - water consumption

I have heard, that one needs to take in at *least* 4 or 5 liters of
water per day when they are exerting themselves. So for a day and
a half I wold take no less than 6 liters. (This is about what I used
while hiking last yr in a high altititude desert, in Joshua Tree CA)

Margo said:
I'm guessing 2 liters for 10 miles which would mean I could get away with,
say, 5 liters, to get from the border to Lake Morena if I'm doing it in
a day and half.

Rebecca
rebecca_pct@usa.net

Margo Chisholm <pctcoach@sopris.net> wrote:
Good Morning All,

My kitchen is full of GORP and granola, spaghetti leather and gravel,
jerky of all kinds. The guestroom is gearbound (with two friends
arriving for the weekend!), and I am dealing with a last minute boot
problem and back injury that, although healed, has set me way back in my
training. In short, the time for departure approaches rapidly. I Can't Wait!!

In light of the back issue and the fact that most of my experience has
been going up rather than long distances, I have a question for the
list. Asking for your opinions again. I know you all love giving them
:-). If the temperature is cold at night and in the 70's during the day,
how much water is really necessary for someone weighing 150 pounds? The only
real concern I have at this point, as I'll be
traveling mostly by myself, is dealing with the weight of needed water.
Clearly the desert is a whole different issue. Maybe double the norm - 4
liters per 10 miles? Or is that truly excessive? I'm looking to average
15 miles a day, so no huge mileage but, as I said, this is unknown
territory for me. Let's hear from you!

On another note, I leave home April 15th and will not be updating the
Roster past that date. However, if anyone wants to add or change
anything you can do it through Ray Bruce at rbruce@consumerpro.com.
He'll also be posting my journals on my site
(http://www.tothesummit.com/PCTJournals.html) and photos as well. My
email, cell phone and mail contact information is all at
http://www.tothesummit.com/PCTPlans.html. Keep in touch! We all need to
hear from "home" while we're out living our dreams.

Enjoy the day.

Namaste, m
--
Margo Chisholm
The Freedom Coach

"Challenge your most cherished assumptions."
-- Unknown

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1