[pct-l] more medical stuff (some chick specific)

Hi there,

I wanted to add my med. info to the pile:  Be warned, my mom is a nurse
midwife so if the topics that follow disturb you, skip this messege.

I specifically wanted to adress UTI's (urinary tract infections.) Many female
backpackers I know experience an increased if not first incidence of UTI's
while on the trail.  Not only is a UTI painful, but within a matter of hours
it can become debilatating and if un-treated within a day or so, it can
become life threatening!

Not to be confused with a yeast infection which is in itself harmless though
can contribute to the cause of a UTI (many women also have more YI's on the
trail).
I think the reason these infections are more common for (female) hikers is
increased dehydration, sugar, physical stress and for some, poor sanitation.
For the later I use a "pee rag", a small peice of bandana, used daily, rinsed
out nightly, dried inconspiculously on my pack.

Soo, I plan to bring a dose of amoxacylin, because a UTI discovered even half
a day from town would be a miserable thing to deal with!! Amox. also treats
lung infections.  For all this antibiotic stuff we've been talking about (for
Lyme disese etc.) unless you have a doctor among family or friends, an
appointment with the "travel" doctor is the only way to get these antibiotivs.
  However if you explain what you are doing (try to be confident and informed)
, they are usually very helpful.

One other thing- for all you women or friends of that have not heard of The
Keeper, look up their page (search under "The Keeper"- it will come up, sorry
I don't have url.)

OK, I feel my duty is done, but please let me know if you want to know more
off-list, my mom trained me well!

-Char