[pct-l] re: food drops

Laura wrote:

>>> We are trying to figure out the best way to organize the food
drops.  We want to be able to share meals (so we aren't
cooking different things for the same meal) but also
want to allow enough flexibility so we aren't tied to
eachother the whole trip.  Does anyone have any clever
ideas on the best way to organize this?  Thanks.   <<<

your most flexible option is to resupply along the way, sending food drops
ahead from the big towns.  do not try to prepackage all your food now,
chances are 1) you'll develop different preferences as the hike progresses,
2) you'll likely split up at some point, if only temporary, but you don't
know where/when that will be.  by resupplying in the big towns, you can
assess your hiking relationship, appetites, etc, and plan accordingly.

and pack everything in individual servings.  you can add them together
while you hike together, but if you decide to split up, your rations won't
hold you back.

also, keep a drift box with a spare tent, stove, filter, etc (all your
shared gear).  if you decide to split, you need only get to your drift box,
pick up the extra items, and then both of you are independent.  and while
hiking together, you get the weight saving advantages of sharing gear.

hopefully, everything will go well with your partner, but you must be
prepared to be independent...

mike
ke kaahawe, AT92  TYT94  PCT99!
mhAT92@tidepool.com