[pct-l] Thru Hiker encounters

I was out on the PCT today for the Smuggler's 50Miler, and ran into two
thru-hikers. (I wasn't running the race because I got the flu last week and
am still recovering).

The first was Joanne Lennox <goforth@cio.net> who has gotten an early start
because of the low snow year. We met on the south side of Hauser Creek,
just south of where the trail hits the road. It was fun to meet another
lister. She was WAY too clean to look like a thru-hiker, but this was her
first day. I think she was  going to make Lake Morena County Park on her
first day. Real nice lady. She has an air of competence about her. If I was
a betting man, I'd lay a large sum on her finishing whatever it is she set
out to do.

The second was Tim Meyers from the Bay Area. He was pretty down
emotionally, he was already talking about quitting, only 20 miles into the
hike.... It seems he hiked much of the AT when he was younger and figured
he carry the same weight just as easily. I tried to talk him into just
going north slowly, and reevaluating his condition at Big Bear and make up
his mind there.

It seems that weekenders had been telling him he'd never make it to
Idyllwild due to snow because he was way too early in the season. That his
gear was too heavy to be a through hiker, and that he should get Jardine's
book because he was doing it all wrong.

I did the best I could to cheer him up, but I don't think he was too
successful. A couple of nice letters for him at Warner Springs might be a
good thing for him.

Makes me wish I was leaving soon for a few months on the trail.....sigh.....

Hike Your Own Hike