[pct-l] Ticture of Iodine

Allan said:

>>What I don't know, is what it is called.  Regular tincture of iodine is
made with denatured alcohol and is labeled as a poison.<<

Regular Tincture of iodine is what you want.  It is indeed a deadly poison
as it sits in the bottle, but you will be using it in very small
concentrations.

Any decent pharmacy should be able to supply you with a 7% solution,
which I believe is the strongest generally sold.  Using his Merck Manual,
your pharmacist can also tell you what dosage to use in number of drops
per liter or quart.   While you are in the pharmacy buy a small (1 oz) nasal
spray bottle for prescription medicine (ie: empty).  Pry the top off to fill
it and discard the internal tubing that lets the bottle spray when
right-side
up.  Use this as a 'dripper" bottle to dispense the iodine... I would guess
that a 1 oz bottle will last about a month.. that was my experience on the
JMT several years ago.  Whatever you use to cary the iodine, be sure you
double-bag it in ziplocks.  Iodine is the most incredible dye you have ever
seen and any leaks will be with you forever!

Also invest in a small salt-shaker (I use one of the 35mm film can
varieties)
and some powdered ascorbic acid (vitamin C) available at a Health food
store or your pharmacy.  After you treat the water and it has set the
required
amount of time (around 1/2 hour) put just a tiny sprinkle of the ascorbic
acid
into the water.. it will completely remove the iodine tinge color and almost
all of the taste... it is incredible and must be seen to be believed!

Be aware also that iodine is a classic test for starch... turning a bright
blue.
If you are cooking a realy starchy soup, for instance, and add a bit of cold
treated water you will get a real shock !  Not harmful, but the color is
sure
off-putting.  I have never had a problem with this except under the
conditions
I just described.

1440 N.E Tenth Street     |  kpherzog@iname.com   |     COBOL Lives!
Grants Pass, OR 97526 USA |                       | The Mainframe Rules!