[pct-l] money matters!

I currently have a checkcard that looks like a Visa (debit card)? And was
wondering just how many stores along the trail will accept these.  I just hate
to lose two or three dollars to an ATM for every withdrawal, but my bank
(Nations First) is affiliated with Bank (of) America on the west coast,  just
how many of these I can expect to find, in which towns?  If I have to bite the
bullet, how many towns have ATM's?

I'll always be carrying some cash to get me though potential trouble areas,
but is there a better way to handle money matters?

Sly