Re: [pct-l] preparing for disaster

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999 15:08:58 +0100 "Mayer, Jim" <JMayer@crt.xerox.com>
writes:
>Sounds like a Stephenson 3RS. [the 4-season whole-family 4.5lb tent.]

     You're right, it does, Jim. Wasn't there a thread that year
involving Stephensons? I know they're somewhat controversial (no not just
for the nekkid people in the catalog <VBG>) as to accuracy of some of
S.'s claims. Like whether they are truly suitable for winter gales, above
timberline, etc , and if it's a _total_ 4.5 lbs. IMHO, the light weight
(due to few poles and  rather fragile fabric) sure is tempting, but I
dunno about trusting the blurbs completely, especially after hearing some
of the listers' comments.

    It _would_ be fine for a Sierra August family-camping tent (tho not
in hot/humid weather for the lightweight single-wall model), as Tom says.
I may not rush out and buy one after all, as I claimed <g>, but apologies
to Tom just the same, if he was referring to the 3RS.
  birgitte (don't forget raingear) jensen