Re: [pct-l] preparing for disaster

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:59:04 -0800 reynolds@ilan.com writes:
>BJ,
>1. Inclement weather-I don't hike in inclement weather unless I am
walking out
>-- EVER. Get it? N-E-V-E-R That is my strategy and it works. I implement
my
>strategy by carrying a four season tent {4.5 pounds} that I can hole up
in for
>several days if I need to. Will I go stir crasy? No! I have cards,
>enough books, my entire family to play games with and can even set up my
slinglight
>chairs inside my tent if I want to. Instead of criticising MY strategy,
please share >YOUR strategy [for inclement weather
>There are no recorded attacks of Cougars on a party of three.

    Well, Tom, I don't have _a_ "strategy for inclement weather" <LOL> -
dealing with each-and-every weather related exigency has always seemed
less simplistic than that, for one thing. Let's go offlist and share tips
for all kinds of disaster-scenarios until the cows come home, shall we?
(FI, what about those family-groups molested by cougars in the park north
of San Diego during the past couple years - didn't they have to close the
park for awhile because of the maulings? Some of the children were even
older than 3, and they weren't hiking alone, but with their
parents/siblings.... You probably read the accounts in your local paper.)

     But first, I beg you: tell me where I can get a 4.5lb four season
tent that holds comfortably an entire family (presumably at least three
people, and you've said you're a Big Fella), sitting around in chairs,
with games and books, and lots of disaster-preparedness gear for days on
end. I know you've stated that money is no object - and I but a poor
backpacker - but I may have to go into hock to get one of those tents,
wow!

     I'd never presume to criticize anyone's hiking style, but I was
alarmed by your implied advice that list subscribers carry 4-season tents
in spring/ summer instead of "heavy" raingear. (That philosophy may be
why members of your hiking party were either in-the-tent or "soaked to
the skin" - have you considered that?)  I meant my plea for the list in
general, for those who may not have the luxury or desire to immediately
hunker down when conditions are not ideal,  not you personally, since
your hikes seem to be so idiosyncratic.  I beg your pardon for any
misunderstanding.                bj

What-the-hey, bandwith's cheap; I'll repeat the raingear part of my post,
that's how important I believe disaster _prevention_ is:

 --- I have to insist that a 4-season (winter mountaineering) tent is not
basic Sierra spring shelter, especially in a dryish year. And please,
please never try to save weight by eschewing  raingear! (Not ever Jardine
would suggest such a thing, yipes. Am no ultraliter, but I think his book
has some good tips on hiking in inclement weather.) It needn't be a
bulky/pricey GoreTex rainsuit, but raingear of some kind  (at least the
garbage bag variety) is truly one of the 10 essentials, especially in
springtime. One does not want find oneself in the position of needing to
"hole up" to keep dry, and one wants to stay as dry as possible always.
Not all weather is bad weather, and not all backcountry walking in
less-than-perfect conditions needs to be the "walking out" kind.
---
In the raingear-category, I'd include some kind of pack cover, did I
mention that?

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]