[pct-l] Re: Logan Bread

Try Bumblefist's Logan Bread!

It has got structural integrity, tastes good, and is an alternative to all
those breakfasts with oats in them - muesli, granola, hot oatmeal, Quaker
oats instant breakfast packets.  Yes, the stuff is heavy, but it is all
goodnesses and not much moisture.

I tinged mine with cardamon and a little allspice, and used bumblefist's
original receipe that he posted, and panicked at the end and added 1/2
tespoon of baking powder, and also used a combination of whole wheat with
some cornmeal(Jardine would be pleased).  I also scored the dough in about
2x2 inch squares.  It is hard to believe that it will come out okay, and
was apprehensive until I tasted mine this morning (cooked it last night).
Reminds me a little of very dense Boston Brown Bread that my Mom used to
steam in tin cans.

Check out the receipes, there is a tremendous range some have lots of eggs,
others have none.  Some have lots of oil others relatively little.  I
suspect that everybody ends up with their own personal variant.

Goforth

----------

--

> Since its invention by the 1950 Mount Logan Expedition from the
University of
>      Alaska, Logan Bread has been used by many expeditions and short-haul
> trips. Its
>      delicious taste, high calorie content, indestructibility and non-
> perishability make it a
>      nearly ideal climbing food. The recipe is as follows:
>
>      4 cups water
>
>      3.5-4 pounds whole wheat flour
>
>      12 ounces shortening--melted 1.5 cups (substitute 1.5 cups Canola
Oil)

--