Re: [pct-l] More defense of Jardine + BJ

Dear Carl/PCTL,

> 1) everybody that attempted the Sierras in June last year was doing so in
>    conditions for which Jardine said the Sierras should be bypassed, and
>    that hiking them would be a winter mountaineering experience, not a
hiking
>    experience.  Therefore, it seems reasonable that Jardine's methods are
>    not appropriate for those conditions, and skis and crampons are
>appropriate.

So, Carl, how do you plan for the situation that I encountered?  That is,
upon entering the Sierras the report was "no snow below 9,000 feet, patchy
snow to 12,000 feet, and solid snow and ice above".  No need for snow shoes
or heavy winter conditions or skipping around, right?  Then 6 days in (I
stopped in the Southern Sierras for 3 days to plant trees for a contractor,
so actually 3 days' walk into) the heavy storm hits like a ton of bricks.
No way to plan, only hope you're prepared to sit it out!

Greg "Strider" Hummel