Re: [pct-l] INYO NATIONAL FOREST TO IMPLEMENT NEW WILDERNESS PERMIT SYSTEM IN THE YEAR 2000

I'll miss the phone reservations.

I'm hopeful that the Whitney fee hike will repair the damage, if not cut
down on the hoards.  I don't like use fees, however, because they reduce
access for lower-income folks.  I do favor cutting down quotas to spread
out use; I don't *want* to use a trailhead if it already has a crowd.

I like the 40% walk-in allotment.  Besides enhancing access for
spontaneous folks, it could spread out use.  I know if am shut out in
advance when 40% are walk-ins, and pack up and drive up, and find my
first-choice TH full, I'll pick another TH.

BTW, packers don't use the Whitney Trail.  And the longer quota season
also isn't relevant to packers, since they can only operate during the
part of the year currently under quota.

In the spirit of adding something light:

"Eat a live toad first thing in the morning, and nothing worse will
happen to you all day."

Peace,
Jeff