Re: [pct-l] Lightweight Backpacking?

I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant in my message against going lightweight
in the Sierras.  I did not intend to and only meant to warn those with less
experience to be aware that between the the time of year (Spring) and high
altitude that situations may coincide to conspire against those who may be
unprepared.  That's all.

BJ wrote:
>Anyway, _nobody_'s gonna have
>four feet of snow dumped on their tarp or tent or desert-hat, whatever,
>in May or June. BTW, I assume that even the most green <g> among us will
>figure out how to 1) come in out of the "storm" and 2) knock any snow off
>long before the point of collapse and "suffocation"[sic], no?

Well, BJ, with all of your experience you might want to know that this poor
soul happened to catch a May storm system just south of Whitney in a dry
year, as this one appears to be shaping up to, that dumped four feet of
snow in two and a half days in continuous white out conditions.  I
literally had to stop hiking and camp because visibility went to zero and
stayed that way for three days.  Now how do you suggest hiking out of that
situation?  I didn't have the clairvoyance to see it coming.  I wasn't
green (sic) at the time and knew better than to try to walk out in white
out conditions.  I did knock the snow off as it piled up and cleared it
back.  However, in one night (10 to 12 hours maybe) it snowed enough to
completed coat my tent with a layer of snow.  My bladder awoke me in the
middle of the night and my flash light showed my finger nails to be blue
and a match wouldn't flame to light a candle either!  It isn't necessarily
inexperience that gets you, but the lack of recognition of "an uncommon
coincidence of circumstances" (How about those words, Sly?).

I am not saying that this is a common occurance, only that it can happen
and has happened and you should think about the possibility in the same
light that you should consider how you would walk out if you sprained or
broke an ankle.  What strategy do you have and what are the risks or
limitations associated with that choice.  Recognize the risks.

>   I doubt if there will be many, or any, nights spent exposed at 11,000'
>along the PCT, and nobody will have to cook even a very-late dinner in
>below-zero temperatures.

I did for three nights due to conditions.

>As for frostbite, well, individual circulatory
>systems are different, and I suppose some people may be very
>reckless/heedless with their comfort/health, but frostbite is not a big
>problem for spring PCT hikers (maybe if you were the victim of a
>mid-winter plane crash or something....)

I wore heavy, leather, snow-sealed boots with wool socks and goretex
gaitors to keep water and snow out of my boots and received first stage
frostbite in two toes that I still have no feeling in 21 years later.  It
can happen . . .

>This
>is just a maternal and friendly reminder than tents that will support a
>4' snowload (serious mountaineering tents, phew!), snowshoes, ropes for
>solo crossings of "raging rivers" [another dire-warning post],  plastic
>double boots with liners (are mere leather boots enough
>frostbite-prevention?) and the like are not-at-all de rigeur for the
>spring PCT hiking season....

I'm not suggesting this either, however, a tent design that will shed snow
would be a good strategy, snow shoes "on call" might be a good strategy,
proper support and weather protection for your feet where you are the
farthest from a road at any point of the PCT (northern Yosemite) might be a
good strategy.

I clearly experienced unusual situations in the Sierras that don't occur on
a regular or common basis, however, all of you who are planning to hike the
PCT this or any other year should be aware of the worst case scenarios and
have a competitent strategy for addressing them.

A common thread amongst the tragic occurances of people in the wilderness,
whether on Mt. Everest, Idaho, Alaska or in the San Felipe Hills of
California is that uncommon situations can and do combine to cause
potentially lethal consequences for those who do not recognize these
conspiring circumstances and/or who are not prepared with a strategy to
deal with them.  Look at every story of someone who has died or been
seriously injured due to the elements (as opposed to personal stupidity
which, of course is also a conspiring situation) and you will see this
combination of uncommon situations coinciding to cause the problem.

Be a good Boy Scout and Be Prepared, that's all.

Again, I apologize if I came across as too strongly opinionated in my post.
 I just feel strongly that ignorance be prevented from taking life from
those trying to improve their lives.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel