RE: [pct-l] Lightweight Backpacking?

Unfortunately, I can't comment on Sierra conditions (I've never been
there... sob...).  On the other hand, I do have some comments on the
opionions that have shown up in this thread.  My field experience is
limited, so please take what I say with that in mind.

(1) First, Jardine's book suggests wearing light hikers in snow conditions.
He says you need the boots to kick steps.  That said, in my opinion, the
language he uses (e.g. "advanced hikers", etc.) encourages readers to try
out his more extreme ideas.  Also, he certainly describes situations where
he ended up on snow in running shoes, so the message the book delivers is
clearly a bit mixed.

(2) One of the earlier posts suggested that boots (instead of running shoes)
would help prevent frostbite.  Here in the east, many of the mountaineering
groups simply do not permit leather boots on winter trips.  The reason is
that they get wet, the insulation gets wet, and... you guessed it... people
get frostbite.  Personally, if frostbite is a concern, I'd bring along a
pair of waterproof oversocks and a vapor barrier liner.  You might still
want a pair of light boots, but that would be for kicking steps, not warmth.
The key to preventing frostbite is keeping your socks and insulation (liners
and/or socks) dry, and that means protecting it from both outside water and
perspiration.

(3) I'm not sure why a tarp wouldn't work for emergency shelter in a snow
storm.  You would probably have to knock the snow off occasionally, and you
would need to find a sheltered spot (or build a wall).  One of my friends
served in Korea, where it got plenty cold and where the troops all carried
leantos... not tents.   And, in any case, most light three season tents
won't stand up to a heavy snow load either.

(4) I do have a problem with some aspects of Jardine's hiking philosophy.
In particular, his emphasis on mobility as a way to cope with weather
assumes that you are able to move.  Injuries, whiteouts, etc. all do happen,
and it makes a lot of sense to be able to hunker down someplace and wait.
In practice, that probably means that I'd take more insulation than Jardine
would, might take a VB liner for my sleeping bag, and would bring a couple
more tent stakes.  I don't think I'd rule out a tarp, but I'd probably try
out some some "creative" emergency pitches ahead of time.  For example, you
can always roll up in a tarp (or a tent fly) and use it like a bivy bag,
especially if you have a VB liner and don't have to worry about condensation
soaking your sleeping bag.  You do have to make sure that you maintain
ventilation though.

-- Jim Mayer