Re: [pct-l] Butane Fans

Monte, My favorite stove is still the Optimus 8R, ( I have the Bluet, Sigg
Alcohol , a whole slew of MSRs) and the Optimus 8R is the one that gets all
the use.  I bought it in l970 and have used it every year since, no pump,
no problems.  the old blue enamel steel box is pretty beat up.  But I want
to use it after the desert section, where I plan to use my Sigg alcohol
burner.  The stove itself only weights 12 ounces once you take it out of
the heavy metal box and also take the heavy key off it.  I have been
thinking about just putting it in my cookpot.  Have you tried to find a
lighter housing for it?  Do you know what can be substituted for the heavy
key(turns the stove on and off)?

I noticed that you said that you burned unleaded gasoline???????   Any
effects on the stove?

Goforth

----------
> From: Montedodge@aol.com
> To: pct-l@edina.hack.net
> Subject: [pct-l] Butane Fans
> Date: Friday, March 05, 1999 6:04 AM
>
> I know many of the younger crowd grew  with the butane stoves which work
great
> in above freezing conditions but it just isn,t so to state a vapor feed
butane
> stove works well in  mid-30 and lower temps. As the fuel is used, the
pressure
> drops and the last part of the canister is less powerfull than a frest
one.
> Combine this with cold temps. and you can play jepordy waiting to boil a
pint
> of water. My friend John had a GAZ stove which worked well to weldon but
was
> worthless in the Mountains past. Read Daivid Green,s book : Pacific Crest
> Odessey and listen to his happy times with his butane stove. If you want
> canister stove, go with that new primus multi-fuel which will also burn
white
> gas. Anyone one who uses a Svea 123 will not be disapointed either. I
used an
> Optimus 8r  which I thought I could kick to Canada and it would still
work.
> Bought in 1972 with my paper route money, it still burns great today. (
zero
> problems on the PCT even though it burned most unleaded) Plus some of
these
> canister,s may be hard to find at remote locations. (maybe you can mail
them
> if legal)  Price, humm, you can buy a gallon of coleman fuel at walmart
for
> about the price of one canister of butane. Let,s see , one gallon of
white
> fuel will go along way at 3 oz. of fuel per day vs one canister per ???
Only
*