[pct-l] Trail Conditions

I have hiked from Campo through Sections A & B in the last few weeks. I encountered no snow in the Lagunas. In Section B the first snow last weekend was a mile or so south of Tahquitz Creek. The trail cleared before Saddle Junction and remained that way until about 1/2 mile before the Wellmans Cienaga Trail Junction. It cleared immediately beyond and stayed that way until approaching Fuller Ridge. There snow was found on all northern slopes until reaching the Fuller Ridge Trailhead Remote Campsite.

We had no difficulty in crossing the snow using light gear (shorts and running shoes). We did use trekking poles. I had very small snow baskets. My companion did not but missed them.

In the other areas the snow had been cut by tracks but we saw no signs of prior passage this season on Fuller Ridge. We lost the trail there a couple of times.

I have lived in this area for many years and based on what I've seen so far I would be very surprised if those starting in April were to have any snow problems in the first two sections. I plan to complete Section C in the next few weeks so I should be able to report on San Gorgonio.

I have experienced no water problems but there seems to be less water in the San Jacinto area than there was last November so there may be a challenge next month. Three weeks ago there was a good water supply at the fire cistern at Chariot Canyon Road, San Felipe Creek, and Barrel Springs.

There wasn't a shortage of ticks.