[pct-l] Butane Fans

Only
a candy a-- uses a canister stove and deserves to suffer if you are
can,t a
prime a real stove. ha ha
* From the Pacific Crest Trail Email List |  http://www.backcountry.net
*
Gee, Montedodge,
I've been hiking, camping, and backpacking for thirty years now (I'll be 48
this summer), and though I am a generally mild person, I don't think "candy
a--" would fit as one of my characteristics. I posted a reply to your
opinion about canister stoves about a week ago, in which I stated that I'd
used a GAZ canister stove in snow, in zero degree conditions, in mountainous
terrain and in lowlands, and have NEVER had trouble with it. I also
described how I warmed the canister to keep it working in these conditions.

I'm miffed (a little) that you have the confidence to express your _opinion_
in the way that you have while failing to acknowledge that other people have
had different, hassle-free experiences with canister stoves. And while I'm
being honest with you, I will admit that it is a pain to carry more than one
canister to cover a multi-day trip when one of the canisters is low on fuel.
Otherwise, "in my opinion," there have been no other disadvantages for me
when using my GAZ stove.

Every person's backpacking style, including the gear they choose to use,
probably evolves through many incidences of trial and error -- some things
work, some things don't, and what works for one person may not work for
another for reasons that relate to personality, experiences, the conditions,
the gear, etc. The best we can offer as experienced backpackers is our
advice, not absolutes. Let's leave it at that.

This message is not intended as a flame, just an attempt to categorize
advice, opinion, and fact. If you take offense (and I hope you don't), you
may email me at csmith@lib.drury.edu to vent or protest.

Craig Smith