[pct-l] Ice Axe Spots and Stoves

The place where the two hikers I mentioned a little while back took their
unwanted 30-foot slides on tree-infested slopes (in separate incidents) was
Fuller Ridge, just after Idyllwild northbound.  This was in '94, with
normal conditions.  Both were happy that they had their axes, and lucky
they didn't hit a tree, sustaining only bruises and scrapes. The trail,
mostly on the north side of the ridge, was completely snow covered. There
also were sloped snow/ice covered spots on that section that were three
feet wide with long vertical drops to one side.  I and the fellow I was
hiking with both had to cut steps and use our axes for balance/climbing.  I
don't know if this year's currently lighter conditions would imply that the
snow would be gone or not.

Grivel now sells an all-alloy ice axe that weighs (they say) 9.3 oz.  I
haven't yet called to see what uses they say are appropriate, but I imagine
hiking/self-arrest with no belay activity would be appropriate.  I also
haven't used or tested it, but someone else may be interested.  It is
called the "Nepal Light" and lists at Climb High for $98.50.

During a winter mountaineering course in the Adirondacks with the first
night at -27F, the only stoves that worked of the entire group of about 30
instructors and students were the MSR XGK and Whisperlight.  The XGK was
the best.  But PCT conditions are much milder.

-- Dave

David B. Stockton
davstock@tiac.net