[pct-l] Re: PCT Pack List

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999, Greg Hummel wrote:

> You list bandaids and neosporin but no other provisions for your feet, ie:
> tape, bandages, etc.  Do you assume that the lightness of your pack will
> negate the need for these? I wouldn't.

greg,

with much heavier packs and with less comfortable foot gear, i've found
band aids work the best for me.  when i was a kid, i liked moleskin, but
the few times i've used it in the last several years, it seemed to do more
harm than good.  i've also had a bad experience with surgical tape, which
tends to turn to a mushy gluey gob and cause blisters.

the things that should help my feet are:

1. comfortable, light, new running shoes (replace every 700 miles)

2. a light pack

3. regular washing of them, my socks, and athelete's foot ointment

4. a hiking attitude of "i'm here 'cuse i love to be outdoors, making
   manning in september would be nice, but it is not the main goal".

5. a willingness to modify or even make foot gear.  (the later is not as
   crazy at it might sound: one one trip i cut up part of my sleeping pad
   to make sandals.   they didn't last long, but they gave my feet just
   the relief they needed from my light leather hiking boots.)

i have heard good things about second-skin.  i was thinking maybe i should
take that along and give it a try.

i have suffered greatly on a few past trips from foot problems, so know
how bad it can be!

but i rarely have problems when using running shoes.

question: if you were in my situation, what else would you bring for your
feet?

	rob