Re: [pct-l] sleeping bags

> Haven't seen this discussed yet since I've been on the list. What kind of
> sleeping bags y'all using? Down compresses so much better, but when it

i've used nothing but down for a long time, but for my planned through
hike this year, i bought a north face "climber 3d dry loft" sleeping bag.
it weighs 859 grams (1.8 lbs).  it compresses to be almost as small as my
2 lbs down bag (a north face blue kazoo bought 15 years ago).  the new
synthetic bag carries a rating of 30F.  it seems hard to beat by much in
either volume or weight by down.  and i think it will hold up better,
especially when wet (hopefully, i'll never have a bag that is wet, but
just in case ...).

on a related subject, i decided to go with just a tarp and ground sheet
for shelter.  i had had a bivy sack on my list (2lbs) in addition to
ground sheet and tarp -- i figured that if it were really windy and
raining that i'd suffer too much with just the tarp + ground sheet.

but i found that i can comfortably use my pack as a bivy
up to my thighs (i.e., me in my sleeping bag, then stuff the bottom part
in the unloaded pack).  my pack isn't perfectly waterproof, of course, but
the tarp should keep 99% of the rain off.  if the rain is being driven in
at an angle by the wind i figure that i can use some combination of the
ground sheet folded over me (it is 2x the area i need) and my umbrella.
if it gets really bad, i do have an emergency foil blanket (53 grams) to
provide an additional waterproof layer.

my pack's dry weight is now 14.5 lbs.

i very much appreciate the advice i got from people on this list.

i think i have all my equipment set -- just need to continue training,
make the mail drop parcels, etc.

	rob