[pct-l] Questions about the John Muir Trail

I am planning a 14 day hike (with 2 extra days added as rest days) of the John
Muir Trail starting in late July.  I just finished Thomas Winnett's guide and
I now have several questions.  I plan to have one resupply stop at John Muir
Ranch which is about half way.  I'm hiking North to South.

1. He states that counterbalance bearbagging is totally ineffective on most of
the JMT.  Is this true?  He recommends using bear resistant food canisters.
Are these canisters big enough to hold 8 days of food (enough to get me to my
resupply stop)?  Do you have to chain the canisters to trees so that bears
wouldn't drag them off in their attempt to open the canister?

2. Does anyone know if the following campsites are open: Shadow lake and
Grouse Meadow.  When you're hiking the JMT and the campsite you had planned to
stay at is closed (and the next campsite is many miles away), what do you do?

3. On the JMT is treating stream water with iodine sufficient or do I need to
lug around a water filter?

4. Is the JMT well marked?  Will I be spending a lot of time figuring out
where the proper trail is?

5. I'm traveling alone.  Will I have any major problem with stream crossings
this year?

Thanks to anyone who answers my questions.
Drake McDonald
Charlotte NC