[pct-l] observations on Section A

I'll take, and did, a water stash anywhere along the way.  I will not accept a
slack pack the first day.  Don't set this kind of precedent the first day.
Carry your gear and enjoy it.  You may need to slack pack somewhere down the
trail, not the first day!!

If you start late in the day, you can camp numerous places north of 98 and
before you climb Hauser Mt.  Just pull of the trail into the brush  and no one
will bother you or see you for that matter.  The illegals will avoid you at
almost all cost.

As for water,  last year it was dry till March then all hell broke loose.  I
hiked section A from March 27 to April 4 and there was plenty of water,  snow,
wind and everything else.  I am not complaining,  it was a joy to be out
there.  The guide book gives plenty of options for water until the San Felipe
Hills.  They are not that bad.  Start late and camp 8 miles in at the "sandy
wash"  and then get to Barrel by late lunch the next day.  6-8 quarts should
do you.  Hitch hike up toward Julian  or Banner and pound all the water you
can handle before heading out.

From Laguna to Chariot Canyon,  the trail parrallels the S-1 Sunrise Highway.
You could walk out to the road and hitch back to Laguna or North to Cuyamaca
SP for water if you really had to and then hitch back.  There are mileposts on
the road,  so you always know where you left.

Section A is beautiful,  especially to those of us that have never hiked in
Chaparral.

Enjoy it and drink plenty of fluids.........:>)

David Craft
Greensboro, NC

PS-  There are some dry sections in early section B that are potentially more
difficult.