Re: [pct-l] FWD: 50 Mile race on the pct

At 12:25 PM 2/27/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Maybe you should ask them. I hope they do not endorse events of this type.

Why should I ask them. It's your concern, not mine. Personally I think they
should endorse events like this.

What do you have against a different group than your traveling on the trial?

>But if the race wasn't being held on the trail they wouldn't be there at all.

So you want to keep people off the trail? Not have events that bring folks
to the trail? How about Sierra Club backpacking trips? How about guiding
services? How about trailwork parties? Where do you want to draw your line
on how other people use the trail?

No. I did not interprett. I read what you wrote:

>>Is this TRAIL RACE PCTA sponsored? Are races on the PCT something that the
club endorses?<<

You  used capital letters which mean emphasis.

YOU introduced the subject of the PCTA into a thread that did not contain
it, and YOU asked specific questions whether the PCTA endorses a specific
activity.

>> I am against highly concentrated trail use and was just curious if
someone out there had information on the policy for something like this
event.<<

The PCTA does not set public policy. It works within existing policy. They
trie to affect policy from time to time, but they sure don't set it.

Knowing the Race Director of this event, I'm sure that the appropriate
permits have been obtained from the USFS and Lake Morena County Park. If
you don't like the fact that the USFS issues permits for events like these,
then you should talk to them.

If these folks are traveling the trail on foot, and are leaving no trace,
then what have you got against them, or do you only want to allow specific
types of non mechanized travel on the trail?

FWIW, the group that puts this on S.U.R.F.
(http://www.movinshoes.com/surf/) picked up about 50 garbage bags of litter
last left by illegals on the section of trail between Campo and Hauser
Canyo. Would you have opposed the outing they made with about 25 people to
pick up trash?

Just wondering.

-Brick