Re: [pct-l] What we need

reynolds@ilan.com wrote:

The trail is, of course, a myth. It appears that we are separate from
civilization, out there on our own, in tune with nature, relying only on
oneself
etc, but that appearance is incorrect. We are just as dependent on
civilization
as we always were.

------

I think thru-hiking has the potential to make us _much_ less dependent on
civilization. In fact, about all we need it for is food. Or do we even need
it for that? The truth is, one can spend an entire summer in the wilds
carrying no pack at all. Nothing. This requires skills, unquestionably. But
thru-hiking can tap into this, leading us in such a direction if we choose.
That anyone would think that they are inherently dependent upon the system
at large is simply a by-product of how that system has misinformed us. I am
just beginning to realize this liberating fact, and find it somewhat
overwhelming actually. I'd like to be able to achieve complete autonomy, but
also have society there as a security blanket.

- Blister