Re: [pct-l] Re: pct-l-digest V1 #698

I agree that this discussion about water and river crossings is getting a little out of hand.  Every river crossing is different, and the same crossing differs from season to season and day to day.  This discussion is putting paranoia into a lot of peoples minds.  You are going to go through a lot of water all the time through the sierras and won't even bother taking off or changing your shoes because your feet will constantly be wet.  And forget about using ropes to cross rivers or creeks.  It will throw off your balance and I bet it will give you a better chance of hurting yourself.  You don't need ropes to cross rivers in the Sierras.  Even the guide book puts paranoia into the minds of the hikers.  I can't beleive how many people took alternate routes because the books description scared them, which is bizarre, especially after what they all had just experienced through previous passes.  Just remember to live in the moment while on the trail and know what you are capable of and what you are not.  I bet you will all learn that you are more capable than you can imagine.