Re: [pct-l] 1999 Day Zero Planning

Greg wrote:

    Those looking for a more pure experience may choose to pass up the water
    and rely on sources off of the trail or carry the extra water necessary.
    But, in that light of purity, will you also pass up the water from a
faucet
    in a campground, or food available in a store?

    Your points are well taken, I respect your position and I don't take
this
    as a flame inciting post nor do I offer this response in flame
incitation.

Blister replied:

To each, his or her own, without question. I think that those who feel they
need water support are more than entitled to receive it. Like Carl said,
though, the most reliable way to outfit oneself with water is to take the
initiative, get out there pre-journey, and cache the water securely,
covertly, and while taking good field notes as to location. Most won't do
this, and so the services being offered here would undoubtedly be helpful.
And done responsibly, it would probably do more "social" good than
"ecological" bad. What I worry about is the proverbial slippery slope. Most
of the time, So Cal is dry. As the years progress, thru-hiking the PCT grows
more popular. So water support will always be popular here, and will grow in
proportion to the size of the hiking community. Bit by bit, we hack away at
Nature - more water jugs placed more frequently, accompanied by food
perhaps, coolers full of beer, "spring registers", and all the other things
that are making the AT a hike from one curious human offering to another.

When we hike by a campground faucet that offers water, we drink because it's
there - we can't do anything about the man-made intrusion, and it _does_
look inviting, so we acquiesce. Same with food in the stores. To an extent,
the hike is an opportunistic journey, since most of us would be unwilling or
unable to live solely off the land (in the Mojave?). The rub is in keeping
the opportunities contained to the pre-existing, the reliable, and the
easily avoidable (for those so inclined). Otherwise, we may one day be
distracted at every turn in the trail, and we might as well go hiking in the
city. Bravo for trail magic - let's all be appreciative when it hits home
right when we need it - but too much of it and we threaten nature's magic.

So, yes, I'm blowing this thing way out of proportion.  Then again, Y2K was
hardly a concern, even 2 years ago. :)

Happy trails to all,
- Blister