[pct-l] Danner Lights

I had a pair of Danner "Mountain Lights" several years ago.  I dont know if
they
are the same boot as currently under discussion, but I would not buy the
ones
I had again.  They were Gore-tex, which was fine for a while.  The membrane
failed after a while though, and then they were just an ordinary
light-weight
leather boot.

The boot had a light-weight Vibram sole that only lasted two
seasons, and when I went to have the boot resoled the bootmaker told me
he couild not replace the sole without destroying the Gore-tex.  This may
not
be a problem now, with Gore-tex in more general use, but back then I could
not find anyplace to get them resoled other than sending them back to
Danner... which was horribly expensive.  Since the Gore-tex was not working
anymore anyway I just had them resoled locally.  A year later the stitching
failed all along the seams, including the uppers.  Back to the bootmaker,
who told me they could not be re-stitched because the leather was too light
to accept another row of stitches.

Like I said, I would not buy them again, and in fact since then I have been
happy with Dexter leather work boots.  I buy a pair every two years for a
fraction of the cost of Danner's.

Your milage will of course vary.

kpherzog@iname.com