[pct-l] re: crampons, ice axe, etc

James R. Bruton wrote:

Two - the snow-slope seft-arrest issue. I intend to purchase crampons, but
am wondering whether the combination of these with Leki trekking poles
would be enough to tackle the snow fields. Can I self-arrest with a
well-aimed trekking pole or do I want to purchase an ice axe? All I want to
avoid here is extra weight.    <<<

you'll have no trouble *walking* with crampons and lekis, but *stopping*
after a fall is another matter.  even with an ice axe and ideal conditions
it can be tricky and take many seconds to do - a long time on a slippery
slope.  the ice axe, for most people, is purely a safety measure, but
extremely valuable and not one to be passed up lightly - pun intended
seeing as you want to save weight  :).

Three - How warm a bag is needed? I figure that my current 45-deg. down bag
is not enough, but is a 15-deg. down bag too warm? What have folks found
works best?   <<<

consider sewing up a light fleece liner for your 45* bag.  should bring it
down  to around 30*, which will be adequate for a summer hike.  at least my
body does fine in a 30* bag.  but 15* is not too warm if you're going to
spend the money on a second bag.

Four - has anyone any comments on the Walrus Micro Swift tent? Have been
using a bivi sack, but think for about a pound more a solo tent might be
worth it.   <<<

i have this tent and love it.  i am 5'9, so there's plenty of room for me
and gear.  a friend of mine who is 6'4 did the pct in '96 with a swift, and
said he loved it - could fit his stretched out frame.  mine, with factory
stakes, stuff sacks and my own ripstop ground sheet weighs in at precisely
3lbs 8 oz.  great solo tent.

Looking forward to meeting some of you out there.   <<<

if you see any southbounders, and there won't be many, it could be us.

mike
ke kaahawe, AT92  TYT94  PCT99
mhAT92@tidepool.com