Re: [pct-l] crampons, ice axe, etc.

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, James R. Bruton wrote:

> This year I want to hike onward about 1,000 miles or so in ten weeks (had a
> short season last year due to changing jobs).
>
> One - assuming I begin around June 1 this time, would I be nuts to attempt
> the desert section just N of Agua Dulce? I'm considering skipping it and
> filling it in on some winter break in the future. Any thoughts?

Actually, that timing is great. The bulk of the northbound thru-hikers
should be headed through there at the same time. Sure it'll be hot but
it's workable. Just try to start as early in the morning as you can
manage and rest during the heat of the day in any bit of shade you can
find.

> Two - the snow-slope seft-arrest issue. I intend to purchase crampons, but
> am wondering whether the combination of these with Leki trekking poles
> would be enough to tackle the snow fields. Can I self-arrest with a
> well-aimed trekking pole or do I want to purchase an ice axe? All I want to
> avoid here is extra weight.

IMO, trekking poles don't work well for self-arrest. They do a good
job of keeping you from falling in the first place but I wouldn't like
my chances if my life depended on self-arrest with poles. I hate
extra weight as much as the next person but this isn't a place I
skimp. You should be able to send the ice axe home at Yosemite or at
worst Tahoe which makes it somewhat less painful.

I should point out that I saw several thru-hikers using only poles and
they seemed to do fine. Still, I don't recommend it.

> I can anticipate one response already - "Go test it out!" I might do that,
> but I'm hoping somebody has already tried it! Can I teach myself the
> technique, or do I need an instructor?

Getting someone to show you how to self-arrest is always better but a
little practice and experimentation is a pretty good substitute. I'm
sure you can find a snowy slope somewhere in Arizona to do a little
practice.

> Three - How warm a bag is needed? I figure that my current 45-deg. down bag
> is not enough, but is a 15-deg. down bag too warm? What have folks found
> works best?

I carried a 15-deg. bag and found it just about right but I tend to
"sleep cold". Other folks might find it to be too much.

> Four - has anyone any comments on the Walrus Micro Swift tent? Have been
> using a bivi sack, but think for about a pound more a solo tent might be
> worth it.

I don't know about that tent in particular but I'll be you'll really
want a tent in this area. Not so much for the weather protection but
just to have a haven from those accursed mosquitos.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98                       (650) 725-3686
http://www.stanford.edu/~kbrandt/