[pct-l] Muir Trail Ranch

Early north-bounders who really need a break from the trail -- say from too
much snow -- might stop at MTR and inquire about a place to stay and a few
meals in exchange for work.  In '98, MTR let a friend of ours do that for a
couple of days since they had extensive winter damage to repair.  Oh yeah,
one more note for early north-bounders in this vicinity.  Don't get your
hopes up about the nearby hot springs mentioned on page 261 of Schaffer.
In '98 we spent about 2 days dreaming about hot springs, only to find the
South Fork of the San Joaquin absolutely unfordable from very high run-off.
 What a bummer.  To add insult to injury, the little campsite on the north
side of the ford was near a mosquito infested bog, and the knob broke off
our stove (which we fixed with a hose clamp from MTR, thank godness --
how's that for food fortune?).

Hope this helps.

Chris.
hikertrash@earthlink.net