[pct-l] In step crampons

I carried 12 point crampons on the PCT.  I really only needed the front
points one time and probably should have waited for the snow to soften
instead or just chopped steps.  But I found the crampons really valuable
for hopping across sun cups and I think the instep crampons would be
just the ticket.  I was in the Sierras by June 1 and climbed Whitney on
June 6 so those going through later may not need the crampons as much.
It was a "normal" snow year ('79).  One of the things I enjoyed about
the Sierras earlier in the season - lack of people.  The snow on the
passes kept the masses out so the valley floors were magically
uncrowded, dry, and warm.  I pretty much timed my days so that I ended
up just below snow level.  Then an early start gave me hard to firm snow
for the climb up and down the passes.  Plus, I got to camp on dry
ground, not mud or snow.

PCT tidbit on snow hiking:  In '79, there was a group known as the OZ
gang.  They got so tired of postholing late in the day across snow
fields that they camped at the base of Forester Pass, slept til the full
moon came up, dropped some acid, and climbed it at night.  I don't know
if this was just PCT legend or not, and when I met them (3 of them
anyway) at Tahoe, they wouldn't confirm or deny the story about the acid
but they did do Forester Pass by the full moon.
        Jeff Jones